LAS VEGAS - The 59th-ranked UNLV women's tennis team won its 10th consecutive match, 5-2 over former Big West Conference rival UC Irvine at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on Friday.
The Lady Rebels improved to 13-2 overall while the Anteaters fell to 7-7 this spring. The victory also marked on the second time in history that the UNLV women won six consecutive matches vs. ranked opponents. The 1997 squad won nine straight against ranked teams.
The morning began with another dominant performance in doubles by the hosts, who swept the three matches to earn a 1-0 lead. Kristina Nedeltcheva won her school-record 91st doubles match as she and partner Jana Albers doubled up their opponents 8-4 at the top of the lineup. Alisa Razina and Anna Maskaljun won 8-2 at No. 2 and Nives Pavlovic and Adrienn Hidvegi won 8-6 on court three.
In singles play, 31st-ranked Nedeltcheva had a short day when her opponent, April Bisharat, retired after three games were played in the first set to improve the Lady Rebel senior's record to 22-5 this season.
Albers won 6-2, 6-4 at the second position; Pavlovic used a super-tiebreaker to emerge 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6) at No. 3; and Rumyana Terzieva also won because of an injury as her opponent retired down 4-1 on court six.
"Picking up another ranked win was important for us this time of year," said UNLV head coach Kevin Cory. "I thought that the girls handled the windy conditions really well today and once again doubles was the highlight for us."
Next up, UNLV hosts another ranked opponent when No. 47 Boise State comes to town on Sunday. First serve is scheduled for 10 a.m. and admission is free of charge.
Women's Tennis Match Results
#59 UNLV 5, #70 UC Irvine 2
March 26, 2010, at Las Vegas
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
1. #31 Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. April Bisharat (UCI) 1-2, retired
2. #103 Jana Albers (UNLV) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Becka Kwan (UCI) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Brooke Bartlett (UCI) def. Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) 7-5, 6-2
5. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) 6-3, 6-3
6. Rumyana Terzieva (UNLV) def. Hannah Holladay (UCI) 4-1, retired
1. Kristina Nedeltcheva/Albers (UNLV) def. Hannah Holladay/Becka Kwan (UCI) 8-4
2. Alisa Razina/Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Brooke Bartlett/Kristina Smith (UCI) 8-2
3. Pavlovic/Hidvegi (UNLV) def. Courtney Byron/Miranda Young (UCI) 8-6
ORDER OF FINISH: